1. Your LiveJournal "user name": jervo
Explain what it means: It's the first 3 letters of my first name, and the first 2 letters of my last name.
2. The "name" that you chose to use (if not your USER name): See (1).
3. Explain how you picked / why you selected the user picture(s) that you have?: Well, the ones that are actually of me are pretty much the only photos of me on the 'net, so, there you go. Animal, Chester, Uncle Sam on Crack and Don Zimmer should be self-explanatory. the Heybro logo is there, just 'cuz it's cool.
- The Stats -
4. date of survey (because things will change as soon as you finish it): 6/22/01
account type: Paid
If permanent, what did you do to get it - if free, why not a paid account?
I paid, and I'd pay more to get a permanent if I weren't so friggin' poor.
friends of (#): including communities, 35.
friends (#): 26
communities (#): 9, including 2 I've invented (mementoland and dfw
memories (#): 0, and I've really never been clear on what's up with this function, anyway.
posts (#): 154
- Your Journal -
5. Why do you have a Journal page? Do you have a Journal page for yourself, your friends, strangers to know you, and/or everyone?
I've been keeping a typewritten journal since 1994, when I was using an ancient Brother word processor. I've wanted to make it public for a long time, for a variety of deep-down personal (read: egomaniacal) reasons, and as soon as katiesp introduced me to LJ, I was hooked.
6. Why did you pick LiveJournal (LJ) over another service or handwriting?
It was easy, it was functional without paying anything, and it was the first one I saw. In the months since I've looked at other services, but they don't have the... the... you know, the thing that LJ has.
7. On a scale of 1-10 (10 being the highest) how well does your LiveJournal represent who you actually are?
Hmm. It represents certain aspects of my personality extraordinarily well, but some of those aspects are deliberately vague, so... Generally I'm completely honest in my entries, though, for whatever that's worth.
8. How do you think your LJ represents you the most; factually (includes daily routine), emotionally, intellectually, sexually, religiously, or artistically?
on a scale of 1-10:
factually - 9
emotionally - 7
intellectually - 8
sexually - 0
religiously - 0
artistically - (shrugging shoulders)
9. How much about your life do you post to LJ?
Is there anything you refuse to post about?
Since most of my LJ-accessible time is spent at work, most of my posting is angry and bitter and incoherent. And also there's some things that I prefer to deal with in other, more private ways.
10. On a scale of 1-10 how interesting do you think your own journal is to others?
I'm not really sure this matters to me very much.
11. From who / how did you find out about LJ?
12. Has anyone ever joined LJ because of you?
I've shown and encouraged LJ to 3 people in particular, but I didn't force them to join.
13. How long have you been a member of LJ?
14. How often do you post to LJ?
It works out to 2-3 times per day, M-F, 9ish to 6ish.
15. What proportion of your posts are friends only? Totally private?
Everything is 100% out in the open, except what I keep in my brain.
16. What is your FAVORITE interest on LJ (no more than 5 please - we'll all just assume that you like all of your listed interests to some degree :-P)?
These change every 5 minutes, so at 10:54 AM on 6/22/01 it's TSAC, Infinite Jest, Memento, Terry Gilliam, and the late great Stanley Kubrick.
17. What is your favorite community on LJ? Why?
I'm a fan of songwriting101; it's been helpful and inspiring.
18. Have you ever learned anything new on LJ?
Well, my HTML tagging skills have gotten markedly better ever since I stopped being able to use the downloadable client...
19. Has anything on LJ ever caused you to establish, rethink, or even change your belief or position on something?
Nothing leaps to mind. It's reaffirmed a few beliefs of mine, though.
20. How often do you respond / comment on other peoples journals?
I pretty much respond to whatever really grabs my attention, be it funny, sad, or whatever. Since my friends list is generally really well-written, I've been commenting a lot more recently than I used to.
21. Do you prefer to write in your Journal, read other Journals, respond to others entries, or get responses to your entries?
I like getting responses, sure, but I'm in this for the writing, first and foremost.
22. What's the longest you've gone without posting to LJ since the day you signed up?
12 days. I think I was between jobs (and, thusly, without computer access).
23. What's the longest you've gone without reading LJ since you discovered it?
If I'm in front of a computer, I'm reading LJ before I leave.
24. What is your favorite post you've ever made to LJ?
This is funny. Sometimes when I'm writing a post (like this morning's, for example) I'm absolutely convinced that it's brilliant writing and witty and insightful, and then I post it and it looks somehow not as brilliant as I thought it was. There have been some comment exchanges, though, that have been really great.
25. What is your favorite post you've ever read on LJ?
I am a big fan of Suzy's movie reviews, but the all time best thing I ever read was "What to do if LJ breaks", which I've linked to somewhere.
26. What's the weirdest or funniest thing you've seen on LJ?
Oh, I see wierd shit all the time...
27. Have you ever specifically asked a question for people to reply to in your Journal (polls included)?
It takes great restraint to not constantly put polls up all the time.
28. Have you ever tried to play the "trace yourself back through friends from a random LJ user" game?
I haven't, but I will now.
29. Have you ever played the "add a sentence to my post" game?
I haven't, because I don't know what the hell this means.
30. Have you ever lied/fibbed in your journal? If so, why?
I don't think so, no... what's the point?
31. Have you ever had something mean said to you or been stalked, harassed, or got into an argument/flame war on LJ (or did it to someone else)?
LJ is full of love and flowers and fuzzy bunnies. Except for when dlbags talks Mets or disses Stereolab. (just kiddin', dude.)
32. Have you ever banned someone from your Journal?
33. Has LiveJournal had any significant impact on your life?
Well, aside from being a granted wish, a useful resource, a great way to look busy, and a place where I've become friends with a whole bunch of really awesome people... oh wait, and I also constantly think about things in LJ terms... and I talk with some of my real-life friends about things I read in LJ, and they look at me funny...
- Friends -
34. Who are your favorite LJ friend(s) and why?
Everyone's cool, man, everyone's cool.
35. How many of your LJ friends are your friends in "real life" (you see them regularly)?
I am real-world friends with 4 people, 3 of whom I see regularly.
36. How many of your LJ friends have you actually met (but you don't see them regularly)?
Not a one.
37. Have you ever e-mailed or I.M.'d someone you found on LJ?
A few times, sure.
38. Of all of the people on LJ you know of, who is the most like you?
Without going into interest-percentages (which is something that needs to be fixed - there should eventually be a reverse-percentage tool, where other people's percentages are tallied up - i'm not explaning this well), Mr. Dixon probably takes the cake.
39. Who is the most intelligent or insightful person you know on LJ?
Suzy, Greatmovies, Blerg, JuvenescentBoy...
40. Who is the most fun person you know on LJ?
41. Who is your least favorite / most annoying LJ user or community (WARNING: ANSWER AT YOUR OWN RISK)?
The young folk, who constantly bitch and moan about stupid shit and post upwards of 30 postings an hour. Please. There is life after the prom.
42. How do you USUALLY find new friends on LJ?
Interest lists, and reading interesting comments.
43. Why are you MOST likely to add someone to your friends list;
Gender, User Picture, Specific Interest, Combination of Interests, Community, Geographic Location, Web Page, Specific Entry in Journal, Overall Journal, they comment in your journal, or they add you first?
If they write well and seem like interesting people, they're in. Beyond that, it's all gravy.
44. Do you automatically add friends to your journal if they add you first?
It doesn't happen that often, but I'll read their journal for a while and add them, yeah...
What is the most likely reason you WOULDN'T add someone to your friends list?
Too many postings (see above), or too much petty bitching about nothing.
45. Do you care if someone adds you to his or her friends list if you add him or her first?
It's nice, sure, but I won't, like, cry about it.
Would you remove them from yours if they didn't?
And that would accomplish what? I like to read what interesting people have to say.
46. Are there any people's Journals (users / friends), communities, interests, or searches you frequent on LiveJournal that you DON'T or will not list in your user info page?
Why don't you list or link to them?
Not really, no.
- More than Friends on LJ -
47. Is your "Significant Other" on LJ?
(If not, do they know you post on LJ?)
Yes she is, and yes she does.
48. OTHER than your S.O., who are you the most attracted to on LJ (those who think this question means an instant argument with your S.O. may pass on this question, if you don't have a S.O. just answer it)?
As Blerg said, "You're all sexy bitches. All of you." And no, I'm not evading an argument.
49. Who is the sexiest person you know on LJ?
Suddenly I feel like I'm in high school.
50. Have you ever fantasized about someone on LJ?
It's hard to fantasize about people when you don't know what they look like. And besides, my S.O. and I are pretty much obsessed w/ each other, anyway.
51. Would you want to know if someone fantasized about you on LJ?
52. Would you date someone you met on LJ?
Well, no, not at the moment. Speaking purely hypothetically, however, you can't rule it out.
53. Have you ever wanted to meet someone on LJ?
Absolutely. I'm all for getting everybody together and throwin' a big ol' party.
54. Have you ever actually met someone from LJ romantically (or otherwise) and hit it off (or not)?
55. Have you ever posted a naughty picture / post / story on LJ?
- Technical LiveJournal -
56. Do you prefer to post from a Client or the Web Interface? Which do you usually use?
The Windows Client is awesome but I can't download it here, so it's Web for me.
57. Do you use HTML to add extras to your entries? If no, do you know what HTML is?
As much as my wack skills will let me.
58. Is your LJ page customized (at all - even from template), template, or default?
I went in and messed around with some things, but it's not a radical departure from anything. jongre has a kick-ass customization.
59. Do you usually use the WinAmp music detector, add you music manually, or none at all?
I hardly ever have a chance to LJ and listen to music at the same time, but when I do, I enter it manually.
60. How well do you know the LJ features and how to use it (e.g. do you know you could edit or delete old entries, get live updates of your friends page, etc.)?
I'm somewhat adept.
61. What is your favorite LJ feature?
The Interest feature, though it could use some work, in my humble opinion.
62. What is your least favorite LJ feature (one that you would change or delete if you could)?
I don't really dislike anything.
63. What feature would you most like to see added to LJ?
A better poll system? I don't know...
64. What moods would you most like to see added to LJ?
65. "One day the directory will work again." How long until YOU believe until that day will come?
I don't think I've ever really used the directory; I'm not needing it back.
66. On a scale of 1-100, rate the LJ for convenience, usefulness, and coolness factor: