- 13. I drive alone, home from work, and I always think of her Camper Van Beethoven, "All Her Favorite Fruit"
- 14. Back in the days when I was a teenager - before I had status and before I had a pager A Tribe Called Quest, "Excursions"
- 15. to be lost in the forest / to be caught adrift Bloc Party, "This Modern Love"
- 19. Times were good / she never thought about her future, she just did what she would Genesis, "Duchess"
2. So! The new apartment!. After we signed the lease, still somewhat amazed that we got it, we took the keys and checked it out in greater detail - took some pictures and drew up a floorplan. Then we met our neighbors, a gay married Columbian couple who plied us with white wine and are absolutley delightful people. I can't tell you how nice it is to finally have neighbors who are cool - these guys are incredibly nice and sweet and seemingly know everyone in the entire neighborhood. We chatted with them for about 2 hours. Our plan right now is basically to move in by August 1. Which leads me to...
3. ...having to break our current lease. Our landlord is going to be pissed, especially since we'd been asking for 2 year leases and he kept giving us 6-month ones instead, insisting that he didn't want to get burned - and, well, we're burning him. (The real reason he gave us 6-month leases is so that he could raise the rent all the time, but whatever.) Anyway, I did some research this morning to see what we could be potentially liable for, and, well, yeah, we have a legitimate chance of being fucked. Not a whole lot, of course - our current lease was going to expire on October 31, and being that we're paid through July and our security deposit covers a month and a half of rent, we'd really only have to pay for September/October, if he chose to fuck us. He's going to be fucking over anybody who rents that place after us, though, because he'd been frothing at the mouth to raise the rent by a zillion dollars, but the place is in serious need of renovation - not to mention the people downstairs, who have been driving me crazy for 5 years. Anybody have any advice? Negotaiating tactics? As much as I'd like to tell this guy to fuck himself, I don't want to get sued.
4-5. I don't even know what to say about London, other than (again) sending along my thoughts and best wishes. 9/11 was almost 4 years ago and I still get jittery sometimes; it's an incredibly fucked up thing to go through and I hope it never happens again. I'll save the snarky anti-Bush comments for later.