1. Anybody reading Nathan Rabin's "My Year of Flops" at the AVClub? His most recent entry is "Hudson Hawk", a horrendous travesty of celluloid that for some bizarre reason I've seen far too many times to admit. Nathan's opening paragraph is hilarious, and I'd cut/paste it here except for some reason I am unable to cut/paste it.
2. This weekend's Yankees/Red Sox series feels kinda underwhelming to me; even if the Yankees were to sweep, they'd still be in second place. Not that I'm saying a Yankee sweep is inevitable - I'm sure the Red Sox are feeling incredibly confident after having to come from behind to beat the freakin' Devil Rays - twice - and last night's Yankee loss is probably not the best way to enter a weekend showdown in Fenway - I'm just having trouble getting tremendously excited for it. I don't know if any of you listen to Bill Simmons' podcasts on ESPN and/or follow his "Johnny, Are You Worried Yet?" segments, but they're highly entertaining (and Johnny hasn't ever been more than a 3 out of 10 on the Worried scale, even when they were awful earlier this year); the problem is, right now, the thing I'm actually really worried about is facing the Angels in Round 1.
3. The new Animal Collective album is freakin' incredible, and it's also given me new motivation to get back into the Panda Bear album, which is also incredible. Both are kinda strange to listen to at work, but then, the last 2 days here have been incredibly slow, so it's ok if I'm totally spaced out. Also - bought the new Pinback record, which also led to my buying an older Pinback record - pretty good. They're kinda like Death Cab, except more technical and Gibbard-less.
4. Xbox Live Arcade has been selling me back my childhood in $5 increments; a few weeks ago they released Sonic The Hedgehog and Streets of Rage 2 for download, and this week they released Sonic 2. My brother and I spent HOURS AND HOURS playing those games on his Sega Genesis a million years ago, whcih is funny because all of these games can be beaten in under an hour. I'm surprised at how much I remember; so much of it came flooding back.
5. This weekend - not sure what's happening, actually. If the weather's nice, I think a trip to the Beer Garden may be in order. Otherwise, beers on my back porch may suffice.