- Haven't played in a "band" setting in a frighteningly long time
- Haven't seen these guys in years
- They're still awesome
- Finally get to try out my new guitar pedal in a proper context
- Speed Racer in Blu-Ray, which is probably how this film should be experienced. I missed it in the theaters, as did the rest of America, and I never particularly cared for the cartoon when I was a kid, so my expectations were rather low. And so, to that end, if you watch Speed Racer not as a big-budget action film but as a live-action cartoon, and you're watching on a nice HDTV screen, you will, to borrow a phrase from Patton Oswalt, ejaculate your central nervous system all over the wall.
- Godfather 1 and 2 in Blu-Ray. We should've done a comparison between the old DVD set and the new, but whatever; the Blu-Ray edition is pretty goddamned terrific. I've seen both of these films many many times and during this viewing I noticed lots of things I never saw before. If nothing else, it's pretty nice to not have to get up off the couch and switch discs during Part 2.
- Quick aside - The Godfather movies have a unique ability for making me hungry for whatever the characters are eating. I want to dive into some of the pasta that Clemenza teaches Michael how to make; I can smell the Chinese food at the table while the Corleones wait for the call to drive Michael to Luigi's restaurant in the Bronx; I can especially taste the sausage and cheese that DeNiro munches on, right before he gets let go at the Abbadando grocer. DISCUSSION QUESTION: What movies make you hungry?
4. Currently playing the XBLA version of Duke Nukem 3D, one of my all-time favorites. I gotta say - it still holds up. Yeah, the graphics are vintage 1996, but still - the single player level design is as inspired now as it was then.
5. Shit is about to get crazy; we have 3 weddings and a memorial service coming up over the next 5 weeks. Good thing I just bought a suit.